David Walker

Default RFI: folboat-type fabric?

Basically I think four types of materials get used : PVC or Hypalon ,
already water proof - you cut it to shape and glue it . Or you can use a
non water proof material and add a coating later . Using material such as
nylon , polyester or canvas . Sew it then coat it .

Tom Yost has a link where he gets his PVC , many folks get their nylon or
polyester from George Dyson in Bellingham , Wa . Not sure just now where
folks get hypalon , but I do know that on some of the links below that I
have seen links to where it can be purchased .

If your hull shape is not to radical you may be able to used Tom Yost
method . See :

http://yostwerks.com/MainMenu.html

The above link also has a link to where Tom orders his materials.

If you want a make a more radical shape then you could sew on a non water
proof skin and later coat it with something to make it water proof , lots
of different material get used from the not so toxic to some rather nasty
stuff - house paint , varnish , gecoflex etc . A couple of the best places
on line to go are :

Qajaq forum

http://www.qajaqusa.org/cgi-bin/Gree...orum_config.pl

Baidrka mailing list

http://www.rtpnet.org/robroy/baidarka/

You might follow the Hendrik Maroske link at the bottom . As I recall
there is a link hidden deep within that site where in Tom Yost shows a
method of covering a rather complicated baidarka stern with material which
is alread water proof .

There are several books out on building Greenland kayaks or Baidarkas . Go
to your favorite online book store and search for Wolfgang Brinck , Mark
Starr , Chris Cunningham or Robert Morris or see :

http://www.rtpnet.org/robroy/baidarka/books.html

You might like this info from a couple of Yost style boat building pages
:

http://home.comcast.net/~marcel.rodriguez/folder.htm

http://groups.msn.com/ThePhillipsFam...rwebpage3.msnw

Maybe this info will be useful for what you seek . Or maybe not .

Oh and btw - no there is not to much in the Diaz book about how to build
your own folder . Tom Yost site it the best I know of for building a
folding kayak . If you merely want a skin on frame kayak then any of the
web sites above or books will have good info . Check out the Qajaq USA
electronic newsletter which may have some good info too . See :

http://www.qajaqusa.org/QUSA/newsletter.html

where you can download current or past issues in Adobe .pdf format .

David

Tom McCloud wrote:

Ok, so I'll start this off honestly by saying that I don't know
enough about folboats to even ask this question correctly. What I
want to do is fabricate a skin for a very non-standard hull shape from
a waterproof fabric such as folboat uses. .... I don't have a copy of
Ralph Diaz' book....is there
anything in there on making your own fabric hull?