Larry Cable

Default Lost Boat/Adventure Don't Come Cheap

Charles Pezeshki

Typed in Message-ID:

I was wearing some 5-10 Nemo booties. Quite frankly, they worked great. No
blisters, they fit in my boat, and they worked great climbing out. Of
course, one would always like to have better footwear, but they really did
quite well.

I've used the Nemo Highs for about 2 years now and like them pretty well.
However, they are getting a little better that 100 river days on them and they
are starting to show their age and will have to be replaced. I've looked
seriously at the NRS Attack or one of the Teva river shoes.

Well, I lost the boat, and the stuff in it. A friend gave me his small
river bag with a waist belt--- highly recommended. I think everyone should
get one-- that way, if you crash and burn, your buddy can give you his
'hike-out' kit. The fact that I was able to strap that thing to my waist
improved my climb out pretty

dramatically.

I had a quart of water. It might have been good to have in the hike-out kit
some water purification tablets. But I had food and everything else that I

I hadn't thought of the hike out kit, but thats a good idea. I added water
purification tablets to my normal kit a couple of years ago after coming close
to having to spend the night in an emergency bivouac after dealing with an
uncooperative shoulder dislocation victim. The other choice might be to use one
of those bottles with the built in purifier.

I've had the same problem finding a new boat. I've tried a bunch and finally
went back and bought a wavesport Y. You outweight me by a good bit, but at 210+
and 5'9", I've found that the high front cockpit rim that is so common on new
creekers to be a pain in the ass to roll, and frankly, I'm not really impressed
with any enough to go to the trouble of relearning a different techneque.

Planing Hull boats performance degrades quicker under load than old style
boats.

Good luck on the search of a new boat. You could join Bill and I over on the
dark side and start paddling a duckie:^).

SYOTR
Larry C.