William R. Watt

Default Fiberglass vs plastic

"Michael Daly" ) writes:
On 6-Jun-2004, (William R. Watt) wrote:

So do I based on what you wrote earlier about
the effect of hull scratches and gouges.

??? When did I ever write that gouges and scratches have a significant
effect on drag?

sorry? you claimed the opposite. that was the difference on which this
discussion is founded.

If the spherical hull does not have the least surface to volume ratio,
please tell us what shape does.

Could you explain the significance of "spherical" hulls, because only the arc
of the circle below the waterline gets wetted?

They are a starting point in looking at the effects of hull shape on resistance.

I see. I thought you were writing about an actual hull shape. I don't see
how anyone can disagree that the circumference of a cirle encloses the
largest area for the least perimeter, but actual kayak hulls aren't built
that way due to other considerations such as stability, draft, and
tracking. I build a perfectly circular hull once out of 55 gal plastic
drums cut in half. Photos on my website. I was informed of someone in
Mayalsia who built a boat out of large diameter plastic pipe. I had to put
sponsons on the boat to keep it from rolling over. Log drivers used to
have the same problem. The carried a long pole. My boat was 2 feet across
and 1 foot deep. Because of the perfectly round shpe it sat deep in the
water, 6" of draft. I guess it could be agruged that kayaks are
traditionally ocean-going craft and given the average depths of the
oceans, kayak draft is not important as it is in canoes.
homepage:
www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm