Michael Daly

Default Fiberglass vs plastic

On 6-Jun-2004, (William R. Watt) wrote:

The difference between hard and rounded chine in practice is negligible - at
least for kayaks. You'd have a hard time finding two kayaks that have a
difference that you could attribute to the chines and could also feel the
difference.

TF Jones disagrees with you.

Reference please. My information comes from John Winters himself.

So do I based on what you wrote earlier about
the effect of hull scratches and gouges.

??? When did I ever write that gouges and scratches have a significant
effect on drag?

If the spherical hull does not have the least surface to volume ratio,
please tell us what shape does.

Could you explain the significance of "spherical" hulls, because only the arc
of the circle below the waterline gets wetted?

They are a starting point in looking at the effects of hull shape on resistance.

Mike