William R. Watt

Default Fiberglass vs plastic

"Michael Daly" ) writes:

The difference between hard and rounded chine in practice is negligible - at
least for kayaks. You'd have a hard time finding two kayaks that have a
difference that you could attribute to the chines and could also feel the
difference.

TF Jones disagrees with you. So do I based on what you wrote earlier about
the effect of hull scratches and gouges.
You'll have to be more specific. I looked at all the pages and figures and
can't see anything that specifies the characteristics of a spherical hull.
He has circular cross sections, but not spherical hulls.

If the spherical hull does not have the least surface to volume ratio,
please tell us what shape does.

Could you explain the significance of "spherical" hulls, because only the arc
of the circle below the waterline gets wetted?

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm