William R. Watt

Default Fiberglass vs plastic

Brian Nystrom ) writes:

While this is certainly what attracts some kayakers, I'd say the main
attractions vs. canoes are the kayaks inherent seaworthiness and it's
ability to handle a broad rain of weather and water conditions with
aplomb.

I'd have to agree that the watertightness of a kayak is its second major
attraction, second only because all kayaks are faster than canoes while
not all kayaks are acquired for watertightness. It would be interesting to
know what proportion of kayak paddlers use spray skirts.

Of course, I'm talking about sea kayaks, rather than recreational or
whitewater boats. I'm also leaving out the class of boats like the
Kruger "canoes", which are canoes in name only and have more in common
with kayaks.

I'm of the opinion that if its paddled with a double bladed paddle, kayak
stlye, then it's a kayak. That includes undecked open "canoes" like the
Rushton Wee Lassie and excludes decked white water and sailing canoes.
It's the paddle, not the deck. One canoe club that TF Jones mentions has
that as a rule in their club races. You can't enter a canoe race with a
kayak paddle. If you want to use a kayak paddle you race with the kayaks.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm