Brian Nystrom

Default Fiberglass vs plastic

William R. Watt wrote:
in my experience kayaks are faster than
canoes, their main attraction as far as I can tell.

While this is certainly what attracts some kayakers, I'd say the main
attractions vs. canoes are the kayaks inherent seaworthiness and it's
ability to handle a broad rain of weather and water conditions with
aplomb. Kayaks make paddling in rough condition not only possible, but
fun. I don't see many canoeists paddling in 3'-4'+ seas or 15-20+ knot
winds (actually, I've never seen any), but it's a blast in a kayak. The
same boat can be used for a quiet, relaxing cruise around an estuary to
snap a few nature photos. Although I've seen photos of canoeists playing
in surf, I've never seen anyone do it, but we do it all the time in kayaks.

Of course, I'm talking about sea kayaks, rather than recreational or
whitewater boats. I'm also leaving out the class of boats like the
Kruger "canoes", which are canoes in name only and have more in common
with kayaks.