Michael Daly

Default Fiberglass vs plastic

On 28-May-2004, (William R. Watt) wrote:

An average person can sustain 1/20 horsepower. When a canoe or
kayak is powered by 1/20 hp in a dead calm the power is overcomimg
4 pounds of hull friction resistance and 0.05 pounds of hull wave
making resistance.

Where on earth do you get that breakdown? Friction resistance
80 times wave resistance?

How can you make such a claim without any reference to the dimensions
of the kayak or canoe? Are you trying to suggest that my WW kayak
has the same resistance as my sea kayak?

Mike wrote he thinks the friction and wave making resistance would
be equal. For that to happen the paddler would have to be
sustaining 1/5 horsepower, or 4 times as much.

Why? where do you get that number?

Athletes can do that. In short bursts athletes can produce 1/2 hp.

Cyclists can put out those kinds of power levels. However, if you're
not using your legs, horsepower is harder to generate. Elite paddlers
can put out about 0.3 hp. A fit recreational paddler can put out about
0.08 to 0.1 hp.

Mike