Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.[_3_] Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.[_3_] is offline

Default Poor Skippy - MIA

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 07:13:21 +0700, wrote:

Well, if your assertion is correct then you obviously not a "cruiser"
as your great search for the best outboard motor is well documented on
the web.

Yes, yes, I know you will to alibi by saying that it was for your
dinghy, but a bloke who can't operate a tiny little dinghy without a
motor can obviously not operate a great big, 25 ft, sailing boat
without a motor.

I don't know which one you are referring to
because I do have two little outboards. I
have a 2.5 HP for the dinghy and a 6 HP for
the mother ship.

The 2.5 is a Suzuki 4-stroke, single cylinder
and the 6 is a Tohatsu 4-stroke Saildrive
single cylinder.

Both of them run like new. The Tohatsu, in
particular, usually starts on the first or
second pull even when I haven't fired it up
for months. It's rarely needed because I can
sail most everywhere I go around here. That's
one reason you will rarely find me in the
confines of the ICW.

The 2.5 HP Suzuki recently gave me some
problems in that it would no longer idle or
run at low speeds.

I took apart the carburetor and found that
deposits had built up on the brass, midrange
jet, stand tube, small orifices. I cleaned them
out using a suitably sized brass wire. I also
had to clean out the tiny orifices in the throat
of the carb near the throttle plate. There are
four of them and three were clogged with some
kind of black deposit. They are so small that
I had to sand down a thin, stainless steel wire
to a long and slender point in order to clean
but not ream the aluminum openings.

All in an afternoon's work, though, as I'm an
expert at repairing small engines of all kinds.

Now it runs like new again.

I'm not like Capt. Skippy. When I fix things,
they generally stay fixed for a long while
because I have few enough things that I can
easily become an expert at their upkeep and
I'm not trapped in an everlasting cycle of
upkeep and repair and installation and re-
installation.

This is probably because 1) I enjoy sailing
more than installation and repair and re-
installation, 2) I don't have a woman nagging
at me to make the boat into a floating condo.

--
Sir Gregory