Jeff Potter

Default Gene Jensen - Very Ill

Marsh Jones wrote in message ...
[ ]
Gene Jensen, who is responsible for developing many of the designs
currently used in both canoe racing and touring canoes [ ]

Thanks for the notice of the sad news.

Gene made canoeing what it is today.

That's pretty amazing.

I mean, it wasn't all coming up in several directions. It was his
idea. And many copied him or keyed off his lead into related
directions, still owing him.

Worth noting that in the early days of modern sport paddling (mid
70's) that canoes and kayaks were both popular. I don't recall that
Gene did kayaks. He invented the C1, tho, pretty much (or entirely).
And the C1 idea basically eliminated K1 fla****er amateur action---C1
fields are big; K1 don't exist. Basically the whole idea of the fast
narrow tippy see-thru golden kevlar (then black) race canoe (with foam
core in certain areas) was his idea. At first, people thought that
going down the river in an S-pattern was kinda weird, but it caught
on---and straightened out. And that's just C1...

These are just my impressions from observing the sport and its
changes. The real info on canoe development (basically a bio of Gene)
would make a good book.

Thanks, Gene, I've had a great couple decades already with your ideas.
Thanks for sharing them.

--JP