Mr. Luddite Mr. Luddite is offline

Default Hey Richard

On 12/3/2014 11:39 PM, Tim wrote:

Richard the reason I asked about your tractor is if you really wanted to help it

start in the cold cold, you might consider a block heater, wick isn't
hard to install. But does take a bit of work. A cheap one (400w) are
about 35 bucks and are about as worthless as that pan heater you bought.
A good 1000w runs about 120 bucks but works quite well. Installation
requires draining the coolant from the block, removing a freeze plug,
installing the heater unit and refilling. When it's about 20 degrees
outside you can plug it in for about a half hour before starting and the
tractor should spin right over. It doesn't make the block toasty hot but
does warm the engine enough to make a huge diffrence.

I thought I'd mention it, but you might get by with a better battery. The glow plugs pull hard...

Thanks Tim,

Actually I looked into installing a block heater like the one you
mentioned but decided it wasn't a project I felt like undertaking.
That's when I decided to try the magnetic heater. I agree, it's pretty
much worthless.

I've managed to get by this long by trying to start (killing the
battery) and then hooking up a small, 6 amp battery charger to recharge
and warm up the battery. On really cold days it might take two or three
evolutions of doing this but it finally fires up. Once it has started,
it's good for restarts for the rest of the day.

I am hoping that before too long this will no longer be an issue. Hope
to be in warmer climates. I can always put it in the garage overnight
when I know I'll need it (snow storm).