Wilko

Default Raft stolen! (Long)

Blakely LaCroix wrote:

Coming into work last week, I cruised behind my building to check on the raft.
To my amazement, it was gone! Trailer and all.

Blakely, I'm glad you got it back.

My experience with theft, police and insurance companies is that
insuring something against theft that you can afford to replace out of
your own wallet doesn't make much sense.

I spent a long time dealing with several insurance companies when my car
and a car of my boss was broken into. Although I have yet to have a
boat stolen from me, I have calculated that the replacement value is
less than what is needed in energy to get a small fraction of that value
from the insurance. The fine print seems to be the worst part: oh, but
didn't you read article so and so where it clearly states that you need
to do so and so when you file the report. Doh!

I still keep my year around travel insurance, but I don't even bother
trying to insure anything in or on my car (the car and its occupants is
insured all risk though). I'll take out the radio and make sure I don't
have a new spare wheel, the kayaks I either stuff inside the car or I
lock them with steel cables to the bolted on roofrack rails. Besides, I
have them marked in several ways (including ingraving and paint-filling
my name and e-mail address in the deck, inside of the hull and under the
seat) and I tend to pick kayak models and colours that aren't that
common around here.

--
Wilko van den Bergh Wilkoa t)dse(d o tnl
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe