posted to rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats
[email protected] Horvath1758@net.net is offline

Default Whole lotta shakin' goin' on revisited, part 6

On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 12:02:02 -0500, "Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote this crap:

FIRST, IT'S A SAILBOAT!!!

That simple thought should always be kept in mind, especially when
considering systems and upgrades. "Is any of the *fluff* really
necessary and will it really allow me to sail more and/or safer?

Are you insane? Perks are perks. A coffeemaker is fine, especially
when she is blonde and blue eyed.

Leave her at home with orders to have it spic and span when
you return to the big supper she's to prepare for you.

But she loves sailing, almost as much as cooking. Her Hungarian
cooking is the best. I could kill for her chicken paprikas, but I've
been trained to kill.

Never even drill a hole anywhere in a boat without first asking
yourself, "Do I really need whatever it is I want to drill holes
to mount?" Probably not. And, if there's any doubt, use hook
and loop fasteners instead. Don't mar the vessel.

Screw you. I add on all the stuff I want. And when you can't add on
more, you need to buy a bigger boat.

In other words, you turn your boat into a barely floating version
of your lubberly abode ashore. That's sure proof of your love of
lubberly.

It's the new stuff that helps me win races. I've got trophys all over
my great room.

Outboard motors are way less trouble than inboards. Way cheaper,
too. You are more likely to sail than to motor than with an
inboard.

I think you have that backwards. Inboard diesels are more practical,
economical, and more reliable than an outboard. With a folding prop
they are more efficient than an outboard, unless you pull the motor.

More practical? LOL! Yah right. Like having to spend half a day
dismantling your accommodation just to remove the old POS and
install the new one while the entire process ends costing more
than the POS boat is worth.

Who does that? Diesels last forever. And you claim to never use your
motor anyways.

More economical? LOL. Everybody knows the price of diesels has
gone through the roof and diesel fuel has been more expensive
than gasoline for years and years.

I fill up once a year. Considering dock fees, storage, launch fees,
insurance, etc. Fuel is a minor cost. Besides, you pay a few pennies
more for diesel fuel but it lasts longer. If I had to, I could motor
all day on just a few gallons.

Folding prop???? Bwaaaaahhhhh. That's a total admission of the
stupidity of dragging a big fixed prop through the water hooked
to a big and heavy diesel. Admit it Horvath, you are just a pretend
sailor who drags the ball and chain of your shore side addiction with
you everywhere you go.

Folding props are more efficient, and help the boat go faster.
I've been on sailboats where the crew had to pull the whole outboard
off the boat everytime they sailed.

Hank-on sails are basic, trouble-free and economical. They actually
provide better lift than a roll-up.

That's total bull****. Try changing a sail under harsh conditions
with hanks. A roll up is better and a foil is the most efficient.

Changing hanked-on headsails is easy as pie. Only you wimp lubbers
can't seem to handle it so you use inefficient and failure-prone
complicated systems in lieu of the pair you don't have between your
legs.

You are insane. You've probably never sailed on a day when the wind
came up and you had to switch to a smaller headsail. Your boat's
going through eight foot waves, which means the bow is going up and
down 16 feet each wave. You have to pull down the sail and unclip
every hank then clip on the new one. Then retie the jib sheets. Then
if you break a clip you have to use a sail tie until you get back to
the dock.

I'm sure that when the wind picks up you just drop sails and motor
back to the harbor.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe