Les Groby

Default Hatch repair idea

The front hatch coaming on my old VCP Skerray RMX has partially
seperated from the deck and is leaking badly. Since there is no adhesive
that I know about available at the retail level that will stick to
polyethylene plastic (and I worked for a few years in hardware retailing
so I know a lot about adhesives), I need to come up with another way to
reattach it. Here's what I'm thinking: drill six or eight holes around
the hatch through the deck and the coaming flange; break the coaming
completely loose from the deck and clean off the old adhesive; apply a
sealant to the flange; then rivet the coaming back in place. No sealant
will stick very well to the plastic, but with the rivets to do the
mechanical work of holding the coaming in place, the sealant will simply
provide a "gasket" to seal it.
Good idea? Stupid? Give up and stick a float bag in there? Discuss.