Mr. Luddite Mr. Luddite is offline

Default Thank you, Richard!!!

On 11/14/2014 11:45 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 11:11:49 -0500, F*O*A*D wrote:

It is as valid as your idea that the problems of the world would be
solved with a little bit bigger government and a few more laws.

I could attend a Virginia gun show, find an individual (not a licensed
dealer) selling firearms, and buy one from him at the show without him
doing any background check, because such is legal in Virginia. Now,
being an out of stater, we'd both be in violation of the law,
but...there's no enforcement. You are grasping at straws.

If there is no enforcement, what difference would a new law make?
You are the one grasping.

If the guy is not even going to make sure you are a resident, what
would make him do a background check?

I don't think private sellers at gun shows or anywhere for that matter
are criminals by nature, looking to break any laws. They may not have
even known that the state law to check ID's existed. They are gun nuts,
not professional dealers.

However, if there were a standardized and uniform procedure for the
private sale of guns that included a background check and registration
it's only logically that the number of these "casual" transfers would
decline and the number of documented transfers would rise.

That's the idea.