Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default The gun thread

On Tue, 4 Nov 2014 06:53:48 -0800 (PST), True North
wrote:

If transfers required re-registration to subsequent owners, the number
of guns available "on the street" would diminish over time and those
used in a crime would be more traceable.

We can never completely eliminate gun crimes but when there are 74 or
more shootings in schools in 18 months, don't you think it's worth trying?

That's my argument.

===

Your cure is worse than the disease. Take a look at that "friend or
family member" statistic. How do you propose to fix that?

If you are the registered owner of a gun that is used in a crime, you
share the responsibility for the commitment of that crime unless it is
reported as stolen or lost within a time prescribed by law (typically
24-48 hrs).

Transfer of ownership to friends or family requires state registration
by new owner. This does not require paying a FFL. In MA we can do it
on-line and it's free as long as the new owner holds a valid gun permit.

Bingo!
If Johnny's grandson shoots someone or commits a crime with that fancy rifle, Johnny should share a cell with the kid.

===

None of that prevents the crime. What it does do it make it less
likely that future generations will grow up to be responsible gun
owners, and that would be unfortunate.