roger beniot

Default Wanted: Advice for Olympic Penninsula (WA) paddling

The majority of the rivers in the Olympics (national forest & park)
are rated high and have numerous obstacles to navigate. I personally
have never whitewater kayaked any of them, but I've spent a lifetime
hiking and fjording them... The rivers on the east are especially
difficult with lots of waterfalls, trees, portages, etc.

There is one really good book on the subject:
Olympic Peninsula River Guide by Steve Probasco
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...71157?v=glance

There is also an older book that is specific for whitewater but I
can't seem to locate it any more (at least 8 years old).

You can also contact or take a trip through Olympic Raft and Kayaking:

http://www.raftandkayak.com/

I have done a number of canoe trips down the Elwha but only below the
last dam. I've seen some whitewater kayaks going down between the dam
near Whiskey Bend and the lower dam.

Last year a world-class kayaker died on the upper Elwha trying to
navigate Goblin's Gate.

I would recommend getting more familiar with your boat and taking a
couple courses before venturing out in the Olympics.

-roger

(Jim) wrote in message . com...
Greetings paddlers,

I'm a novice whitewater paddler and would love to accompany other
paddlers around the the Olympic peninsula. I live in Poulsbo, in
Kitsap County and am particularly interested in rivers fairly close to
me (Dosewallips, Duckabush, Elwah, etc.). I have gear for whitewater,
but haven't mastered rolling yet. Even so, if you're open to having a
newbie join you, please contact me.

On a different note, I also have a 17' canoe and two sons (9 and 6 yrs
old) and am looking for flat or *very* mild whitewater trips for us 3
within an hour or so drive from Poulsbo. We used to do a few mile
long, bike retrieval trip with some riffles on the Snoqualamie river
near Falls City when we lived in Seattle and sorely miss that. Any
recommendations there for our area would be much appreciated too.

Thanks all,

-Jim Gallant
Poulsbo, WA