Califbill Califbill is offline

Default boating today.

wrote:
On Friday, September 19, 2014 11:52:52 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 06:31:47 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

On 9/18/14 11:07 PM, wrote:

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 18:38:26 -0400, Harrold wrote:

You should be able to buy a Morse or Teleflex cable for around $50 unless

Yamaha does cables differently than everyone else.

Problem is which Morse number.

Call a parts house. You pretty much only need to specify length.

Transfer ends from one cable to the other.

Yup that is how Yamaha cables work.

You buy the generic cable with threaded ends and you get the

appropriate adapter kits for the terminations.

When I got my cables they were about $50 each for the new "slick"

Yamaha branded cable (TFX or something like that)

I got them online.

In the good old days, when one of my father's customers swamped or sank

a boat, or it went down in a storm and was rescued, the throttle and

shift control cable to the outboard usually froze up because of sand or

corrosion. One of the shop guys would remove the ends, pull the inner

metal cables out of their rubbery covers, and either replace the cables

or clean and grease them and put them back in. Back in those days, labor

was still less expensive than new parts, and the controls were

mechanical. These days, sadly, most outboard controls from the helm are

electronic.

I have not seen any fly by wire outboards yet. They have them but they

are certainly not all that common.

It is not even an option on small and midrange outboards.

The Yamaha "command link" is just instrumentation. I know there is

"Electronic Command"

You usually would only see the electronic controllers on trips or

quads and that is people for whom money is no object.

The new Mercury Verado line are electronic throttle and shift. Some of
the big, top line Yamahas are as well. It's likely that 80% of what's
sold is still mechanical.

TR1 is an electronic steering for kickers. But most are still mechanical.
Problem with the Yamaha shift cable is the length. Is 27 inches. And all
the Teleflex / Morse cables I see are in even foot lengths.