riverman

Default Canoe Paddle Length Suggestions & (Wet) Footwear Suggestion ?

"Peter H" wrote in message
riverman wrote:

"Peter H" wrote in message

Yours in the north Maine woods,
Pete Hilton (Reg. Maine Guide) aka Pogo aka The Ent

Hey Pete: How long have you been a Maine Guide? I guess I didn't know you
were one of the clan. :-)

Spiritually or legally? LOL!

I've been badgered about taking the tests for about 12-15 years by a
very close friend who has been a guide since the early 50's & I've
studied with a retired warden supervisor who's been guiding longer than
I've been alive. Only had a license since last year. Didn't really need
one at first except for "personal satisfaction," if you will - but with
the opportunity (I hope) of retirement @ 62 I'll have a means of a
part-time job which will help ends meet & I'll be doing something I
really love as well.

Pete

Good plan. Registered Maine Guides represent the last of an important breed
of outdoorsman. I think of us as the Executives of the Wilderness. Or more
like the "Striders of the North Woods". My two most precious pieces of paper
are my Registered Maine Guide's license, and my Grand Canyon River Guides
license. (Unfortunately, both have expired since I've been overseas.
However, Augusta assures me that once you have a license, you only have to
pay to renew it, even after a lot of years. We'll see this year.)

If you really intend to make a part-time income out of it, you'll need to
distinguish yourself. Get to know a certian stretch of woods, river, animal
or whatever; write a few articles for the BDN or the Boston
Globe...something that will make the sports seek you out. Otherwise, you'll
end up one of those old timers with the red sign in front gathering
spiderwebs.

Just think, in 19 more years, you get your 20 Year Patch. :-)

--riverman