Boating All Out Boating All Out is offline

Default Sad world

In article ,
says...

On Wed, 3 Sep 2014 14:23:19 -0500, Boating All Out
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I just think the psychological effect of drones is the opposite of
what we want.

It has a tremendous effect on morale. "Caliphate" is a joke.
These criminals can't build a palace. All they can do is hide.
The U.S. has put a target on their backs. And rightly so.

How has that morale thing been working out?
There are far more insurgents now than there were 10 years ago.
You already established that these are just thugs and there seems to
be no shortage of replacements.
It is like stepping on ants and thinking you are controlling them.

We'll see when leaders get vaporized by Hellfires or laser guided bombs.
It worked well against Al Queda.
Of course this gang replaced them.
And we'll also find out if Arab Muslims can handle democracy well enough
to control the radical, bloodthirty criminals among them.
I have my doubts.

We act like there is some kind of Yamamoto out there that will
seriously degrade their capability if we kill him.

Yamamoto had a target on his back.
The mission to kill him wasn't called "Operation Disrupt Japanese Hight
Command". He was already pretty much irrelevant.
It was named "Operation Vengeance"

So you admit these strikes are just reprisals, not any real
decapitation.

No. The strikes enabled a coalition of Iraqis and Kurds to retake
Mosul dam and Tikrit.
Strikes against leaders are in the offing.
The leaders will hide deep - using your ant analogy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-XidMcwKAI
And like ants, you don't totally wipe out criminals, you control them.
I have poisoned ant infestations to control them.

The reality is the knowledge is pretty freely disseminated among the
gangs and there is no one single leader or mechanic who is key to the
operation. We only make martyrs. When we take out a bunch of
innocents, it is just a recruiting tool. I suppose we can just kill
them all but there is over a billion of them world wide

Leaders keep the gang together and set the "strategy".
ISIS could lay down their arms now, and the beheader and leaders
are still dead men. That's what vengeance is about.
I have no problem with that.

No I don't have a good answer but neither does our government.

There is no "military answer" except to kill them.
Vengeance.
Of course some might want them tried first, but not me.

Yeah, it feels good stepping on ants too, but you are not seriously
decreasing their population.

I don't feel good stepping on ants, and avoid it. Life is precious.
But if they start making big lumps in my lawn, they've chosen their
sad fate. Vengeance is reserved for killers.