Mr. Luddite Mr. Luddite is offline

Default Sad world

On 9/4/2014 1:58 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 16:06:38 -0400, F*O*A*D wrote:

So? Who are we going to fight? The Russians? The Chinese? Qatar?

I guess the question is what would be worth fighting over? Would we
come to the aid of Japan? Taiwan? Ukraine?

Japan, Taiwan and Ukraine are not members of NATO, so that alliance
doesn't apply.

Japan and the USA have a security treaty in which the USA pledges to
defend Japan against communist aggression.

A treaty (Sino-American Mutual Defense) afforded Taiwan protection
against a Chinese attack but it was cancelled by Jimmy Carter in 1979.

Ukraine had an opportunity to join NATO but didn't. I think they are
re-thinking that.

I think the only way the USA would become actively involved in a major
way would be in the case of an attack on a NATO member.