Peter H

Default Canoe Paddle Length Suggestions & (Wet) Footwear Suggestion ?

Robert11 wrote:

Hello:

Would appreciate opinions on what the "correct" length is for a straight
canoe
paddle ?

I understand that a lot of personal preference goes into this, but is there
generally accepted length ?

You are correct in assuming that personal taste is a large part of the
equation. Body size / arm length / will you be bow or stern - these are
the major components, assuming that you will be travelling downriver. Is
the blade relatively broad or narrow is an important question, but
that's more related to power / maneuverability / endurance than "proper
fit" meaning proper for you at a given time. I have paddles from 5' to
6'; some are fairly narrow while others are broad. If I'm standing -
usually the case in anything up to Class III and even then for short
moments - then I'm using the 6' paddles exclusively. If sitting - either
as bow man or even stern in calm water, I'll got to 5 1/2' with broader
blade. If I'm kneeling & really digging in for quick power in white
water, then the 5' w/ broad blade suits me best in shallower water while
with more depth I'll stay with the 5 1/2.

Also, what would be the lightest and easiest to handle:
a "normal" wooden shaft, or one of those Aluminum types with a T shape on
the top ?

Despite their being sturdy, those aluminum shaft cum plastic blade jobs
are lifeless & a drudge. A good wooden paddle will have flex & spring
that aid your stroke and help minimize fatigue. Difference in weight
isns't a large factor - for me at least - where "character" (more than
just the looks) is essential. And beware the wooden paddle that's
laminated through its entire length: they're as dead & unresponsive as
the sysnthetic ones. Having the blade laminated for looks &/or strength
is fine so long as the shaft can flex with your stroke. Personally, I
feel it's best to have some flex through the entire length, blade as
well as shaft.

If you're going to do the St. John or Allagash, I would recommend you
drop into Porter's Woodworking in Patten. They're just a short way off
Route 11 on the Shin Pond Road that leads to the north entrance to
Baxter Park. They make an excellent line of paddles; they're suppliers
of paddles, seats, thwarts etc. for L.L.Bean, Old Town Canoe & other
outlets. I use their paddles almost exclusively.

One thing you didn't mention & some in the woods find too late is a big
problem: how many paddles? My rule of thumb is 1 paddle per person, 1
paddle for the canoe, 1 spare. Thus: 1 canoe w/ 2 persons = 4 paddles.
Extras can be used as support for tarps in wet weather as well as the
reassurance of spares if a regular paddle gets lost or broken. And if
you dump, easily done for even experienced canoeists, you'ld be
surprised how soon a paddle will take off downstream - if you have no
spares then you might never catch up with it.

Was thinking of Neoprene booties .....

(feet would be wet, but the principle being that body heat would hopefully
warm up the layer of water next to the skin)

Given your description, I would have neoprene booties & oversize
sneakers/hiking shoes. The booties will give insulation & retain body
heat even if you have to step overboard now'n'again for rocks, landings,
etc. The shoes will give support & traction but don't count on them for
warmth. I would NOT rely on body heat to warm up wet feet; chances are
you'll be in generally wetish conditions where the constant drain of
body heat will easily produce a level of discomfort that will eat into
every aspect of the day.

Good luck - enjoy!

Yours in the north Maine woods,
Pete Hilton (Reg. Maine Guide) aka Pogo aka The Ent

--
Freedom is participation in power.
Cicero