riverman

Default To Steve: re Your paddle Length And Footwear Suggestions From Previous Post

"Michael Daly" wrote

Neoprene booties work great while paddling. Feet get wet then stay warm

all
day. The felt sole bottom model works very well on portages.
NRS has several styles to choose from.

The problem is that your feet are all white and waterlogged when you get off
river, and any callouses are gonna soften up and fall off. I always make a
judgement call: if the water is really cold and I intend to use all my
skills to stay in the boat (like late season canoe tripping), I'll often
wear some LLBean boots with warm socks inside, and keep my feet dry as much
as possible. That means really being active to keep the boat bailed and
sponged dry if water comes over the rail. If there is a chance I will dump
and swim (playboating in cold weather), or that I will be walking in water
(lining, shallow shorelines), I wear some scubadiver's booties with wool
socks underneath. The socks stay warm even when wet, so thats good all day.
My favorite pair were DeepSee brand, with an extended zipper along the side.
They also had firm soles.

If I swim with my LLBeans on, its no disaster, as they are well laced up.
However, it soaks them and the socks inside so that I have to dry them and
change socks. They are the most comfortable and land-friendly form of
footwear, but definately not for times you will have water in the boat.
OTOH, booties are a real compromise on land, and with the condition of your
feet after a few days.

--riverman