Steve

Default Canoe Paddle Length Suggestions & (Wet) Footwear Suggestion ?

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Would appreciate opinions on what the "correct" length is for a straight
canoe paddle ? I understand that a lot of personal preference goes into this,
but is there a generally accepted length ?

Seem to remember in years past there were suggestion about putting it on top
of your foot, and it should reach to your chin; do I have this right ?

Most people don't paddle canoe with either their feet or their chins, so that
method, while colorful, may not give the best results. If you have the boat you
will be using, or a similar one, get in it in the water with a longish paddle.
Sit or kneel, whichever you will be doing most of; I'm guessing sitting. Hold
the paddle in your grip hand, with your hand around forehead height. If your
forehead goes all the way to the back, like mine, say 1" above the eyebrows.
Reach that hand across your face so that the paddle hangs vertically in the
water without touching the side of the boat. You could twist your body to make
that happen, that's good. Now measure the part of the paddle that isn't wet.
That's the shaft length you need. Now just decide what kind of blade you like.

Will be doing a conoe trip on the Allagash or St. john River in Maine this
spring, and am not very familiar with canoes. Also, what would be the
lightest and easiest to handle: a "normal" wooden shaft, or one of those
Aluminum types with a T shape on the top ? Which are lighter ? Getting on
in years now, and tire easily.

I'm guessing you're not going to be in whitewater, so you probably want a tulip
or pear grip, not a T. If your joints are getting on, you want a paddle with a
little flex in it. Wood is better than aluminum for that.

My other question concerns what to use for footwear. In the early spring in
Maine, the water will undoubtedly be "quite" cold, and of course the bottom
of the canoe will be wet. Probably way too cold to be comfortable in Teva's
or tong type open sandles.

Chota mukluks or NRS River boots. The more expensive ones have stiffer soles.

Have a great time.

Steve Cramer
Athens, GA