Robert11

Default Canoe Paddle Length Suggestions & (Wet) Footwear Suggestion ?

Hello:

Would appreciate opinions on what the "correct" length is for a straight
canoe
paddle ?

I understand that a lot of personal preference goes into this, but is there
generally accepted length ?

Seem to remember in years past there were suggestion about putting it on top
of
your foot, and it should reach to your chin; do I have this right ?

Will be doing a conoe trip on the Allagash or St. john River in Maine this
spring, and am not
very familiar with canoes.

Also, what would be the lightest and easiest to handle:
a "normal" wooden shaft, or one of those Aluminum types with a T shape on
the top ?

Which are lighter ? Getting on in years now, and tire easily.

My other question concerns what to use for footwear.
In the early spring in Maine, the water will undoubtedly be "quite" cold,
and of
course the bottom of the canoe will be wet.

Probably way too cold to be comfortable in Teva's or tong type open sandles.

What do you folks use ?

Was thinking of Neoprene booties like one would use as part of a skin-diving
wet suit outfit, but with hard soles so you could actually do some walking
on them.

(feet would be wet, but the principle being that body heat would hopefully
warm up the layer of water next to the skin)

Is this a good idea ?
Other options ?

Think I saw a pix of them, somewhere, but cannot remember where.
Any ideas as to where to purchase these, or what you recommend ?

Much thanks,
Bob

Bob