Rick

Default Feathercraft Kahuna Kayak

....stuff deleted

As far as the boat slowing down in rough water, I am not sure. Comparing
it to a glass boat, it will be slower just because of the loser material
along the hull compared to glass. I have paddled it several times on day
trips in different types of weather and though it was slower, it wasn't
a huge difference. Folding boats are designed for compactness. There
will always be a trade off for that. You can adjust the tension of the
hull and the internal sponsons help tighten things up quite a bit as
well.

I've read, and heard claims, that skin boats create less disturbance than a
hardshell boat. The boat's own wake, for example, is dampened by the softer
sides and this reduces hull resistance in the water. The same would
logically apply to other wave conditions. I can't vouch for this, though
perhaps John F. can comment. I've heard from many sources that skin boats
paddle beautifully, or paddle like a pig, (giving credence to the idea that
hull design can offset any benefit/detriment gained by having a skin over
frame boat).

If you did not see the National Geographic "Baidarka" video, you should.
They discuss this fairly well, but the boat tested was very long 18' and
only 17" or 18" wide (IIRC), so it is possible that any benefits felt were
as much a function of a very long hull, low weight, and bifurcated hull.
Still worth seeing if you can find it (check your library).

Rick