Wayne B

Default Manifold failure, hydrolock :-(

(Gould 0738) wrote in message ...
AFAIK, the manifold was original.

I had it removed and inspected a couple of years ago, and specifically inquired
whether I should consider replacing it. I was told, "No, it looks fine. I
wouldn't worry about this manifold at all."

Had I to do over again, I would have simply replaced the manifold at the time I
was concerned about it due to age, when it was about 15 years old. These
manifolds are $$BIG and I went the cheapie route. Paying for it now. :-(

Rule of thumb? Replace *before* failure. :-)

Yes. The problem, of course, is figuring out the right time without
being too overly conservative. Actually at 15 to 17 years, yours
sounds like it did OK for a sal****er cooled manifold. Most Mercuiser
gas engines seem to get less than that, and I've heard recommendations
for replacing risers and elbows at 5 to 7 years regardless of engine
hours. That would seem early for manifolds however.

Any one know any "rule of thumb" for this?