Dave Filpus

Default Canoe Camping in the south eastern US?

In article ,
"D. S. Goldsmith" wrote:

Hello group. We're in the planning stages of a canoe/kayak camping trip
in early March and are looking for suggested destinations. Trip legnth
would be 4-6 days of camping. We're located in central Florida so
anywhere in Georgia, or the Carolinas would be fine. We're looking for
scenic with decent camping along the way and class I or II whitewater
would be a great addition as well. I've looked around a bit for a river
and the Oconee and Altamaha look like likely candidates. The group will
probably be two or three canoes and a kayak. 5-7 paddlers and a large
dog

The New River in North Carolina/Virginia is mostly flat water with a
little Class II. There is a lot of camping along the river. New River
State Park in North Carolina has canoe sites. With private campgrounds
along the way, you should be able to canoe up to the New River Trail
State Park in Virginia.