John Fereira

Default why paddles matter - or do they?

(andrei) wrote in
om:

John Fereira wrote in message
(andrei) wrote in
om:

Hi everybody,

I have another newbie question: I was told that paddles a really
important and that often when people are having a bad experience
with their kayaks, it's the cheap paddle which is responsible.

I bought a Tarpon 100 sit on top recreational kayak which I use on
the Intercoastal River in the New Smyrna Beach and Edgewater area.
I absolutely love it, and I do find that this kayaks traks just fine
and fast even though many experienced kayakers find these very slow
and heavy.

And many experienced kayakers, by definition, are able to make that
determination due to their experiences paddling 10' recreational
kayaks with heavy, inexpensive paddle and then comparing it to
paddling 17-18' composite kayaks with paddles costing $200-$300 (and
more). While you feel your kayak may track fine and be fast, you
can't really know how well it tracks and how fast it is unless you've
compared it to a "real" touring kayak.

My wife, who has the same kayak, is having a hard time. Our kayaks
came with 30$ paddles Carlisle. The next paddle model up (judging
by price) was already at 90 bucks! Should she consider changing?

Yes, and $90 is still very low in the price range for a kayak paddle.
I'm not suggesting that you go out and buy a $350-$400 carbon fiber
paddle, but if you think you're going to be participating in this
sport for a long time it might be worth spending a bit more. Someday
you might want to upgrade on your boat (or add to an existing fleet).
A decent paddle can last a long time. BTW, the only paddle I've ever
broken was one of those $30 carlisles.

I mean, what does the paddle do? It "grabs" the water so the
kayaker can pull himself forward, right? So what's the big deal
about paddles?! I don't imagine that two buckets on each side of a
broom would be very pleasant to use, but is it worth spending 90
bucks or more on a paddle? Would that help my wife?

I suggest that you try a decent paddle and decide for yourself. I'm
betting it will take all of five minutes for you or your wife to be
sold on it. If you can't find one to borrow or rent just go to a good
kayak shop and pick up a few paddles and you'll feel the difference.

Thank you all for the most interesting advice. Right now, our
kayaking budget is pretty much exhausted with two Tarpon 100s. With
time, and experience, we will both probably look into the purchase of
better, more efficient, faster and better tracking kayaks. But right
now we are stuck with Tarpon 100s. In my case, I am happy with it (-:
at least for the time being :-).

Nothing wrong with that. The important thing is that you're on the water,
gaining experience, and enjoying it.

So what I would be looking for is
reccomendations for a better paddle for my wife KEEPING IN MIND THAT
SHE WILL STAY WITH HER CURRENT KAYAK FOR THE TIME BEING.

I think you may have missed my point somewhat. It sounds like you like
kayaking and intend to keep doing it for as long as you enjoy it. If you're
going to be in for it for the long haul, investing a little more in a paddle
or other piece of equipment that may last you many years is worth it if the
alternative is saving a bit now, only to have to replace it in a year. I
haven't been paddling as long as some here (only 7 years) but I've seen how
fast beginning kayaker can "grow out of" their first boat or paddle. In my
case, I owned my first kayak for three weeks before I tried a few quality
boats and started shopping for a new one.

I mean - is
the Tarpon 100 too sluggish to improve on it anyway and are better
paddles only for more advanced kayaks -

A better paddle isn't going to improve an inexensive kayak any more than it
will improve an advanced boat. It will, however improve the paddler. All
the advice about improving the technique is good, but the comments about the
weight of the $30 paddle and the shape of the blades causing flutter make
paddling with that $30 paddle more difficult and more tiring than paddling
with a lighter paddle with better blades.

or might there be a
*reasonably price* (ABSOLUTE MAX 100 dollars) paddle which would
*significantly* improve the kayaking experience for my wife? (or does
the Tarpon 100 make the purchase of a better paddle a useless
endeavor?)

I haven't tried that $90 Carlisle paddle that Bill mentioned but most $100
paddles are, IMHO, still bottom of the line. However, $100 might buy you a
used fiberglass shaft and blade paddle like a Werner Camano, Swift, or
Lightning Std. Six years ago I paid $200 for a used Camano and a Lightning
standard, and when I'm not using my greenland paddle I still use that
lightning paddle.

It sounds like you don't have a lot of money in your kayaking equipment
budget so a good option may be to build a wood paddle, or stretch your
budget as much as you feel comfortable. BTW, there are only 30 more
shopping days until Christmas.