Randy Hodges

Default why paddles matter - or do they?

Bill Tuthill wrote in message
The $30 Carlisle paddles used to have a choice of only
0 or 90 degree feather, which is terrible. Most experienced paddlers
prefer feather angles somewhere between 45 and 60 degrees.

Actually you can tweak the Carlisle paddles to almost any degree of
feather you want. Just have someone sit on one end while you
forcefully rotate the other end.

I agree that either a 0 or a 90 degree feather is pretty bad.

I also agree that a good paddle is a worth while investment.....

but....

I would also check that she is paddling correctly. Most beginners try
to paddle with their arms rather than their torso. Your torso is MUCH
stronger. Make sure she is rotating her body with each stroke. This
is an area where a little time spent with an instructor or just
another experienced paddler could reap some real benifits. You might
also consider getting one of the instructional videos that deal with
the forward stroke. "The Kayaker's Edge" comes to mind but it deals
mostly with whitewater.

My guess is that knowing how to do a proper forward paddle stroke will
have more immediate benifits for both of you than upgrading your
paddle.

Randy