andrei

Default why paddles matter - or do they?

John Fereira wrote in message ...
(andrei) wrote in
om:

Hi everybody,

I have another newbie question: I was told that paddles a really
important and that often when people are having a bad experience with
their kayaks, it's the cheap paddle which is responsible.

I bought a Tarpon 100 sit on top recreational kayak which I use on the
Intercoastal River in the New Smyrna Beach and Edgewater area. I
absolutely love it, and I do find that this kayaks traks just fine and
fast even though many experienced kayakers find these very slow and
heavy.

And many experienced kayakers, by definition, are able to make that
determination due to their experiences paddling 10' recreational kayaks with
heavy, inexpensive paddle and then comparing it to paddling 17-18' composite
kayaks with paddles costing $200-$300 (and more). While you feel your kayak
may track fine and be fast, you can't really know how well it tracks and how
fast it is unless you've compared it to a "real" touring kayak.

My wife, who has the same kayak, is having a hard time. Our kayaks
came with 30$ paddles Carlisle. The next paddle model up (judging by
price) was already at 90 bucks! Should she consider changing?

Yes, and $90 is still very low in the price range for a kayak paddle. I'm
not suggesting that you go out and buy a $350-$400 carbon fiber paddle, but
if you think you're going to be participating in this sport for a long time
it might be worth spending a bit more. Someday you might want to upgrade on
your boat (or add to an existing fleet). A decent paddle can last a long
time. BTW, the only paddle I've ever broken was one of those $30 carlisles.

I mean, what does the paddle do? It "grabs" the water so the kayaker
can pull himself forward, right? So what's the big deal about
paddles?! I don't imagine that two buckets on each side of a broom
would be very pleasant to use, but is it worth spending 90 bucks or
more on a paddle? Would that help my wife?

I suggest that you try a decent paddle and decide for yourself. I'm betting
it will take all of five minutes for you or your wife to be sold on it. If
you can't find one to borrow or rent just go to a good kayak shop and pick
up a few paddles and you'll feel the difference.

Thank you all for the most interesting advice. Right now, our
kayaking budget is pretty much exhausted with two Tarpon 100s. With
time, and experience, we will both probably look into the purchase of
better, more efficient, faster and better tracking kayaks. But right
now we are stuck with Tarpon 100s. In my case, I am happy with it (-:
at least for the time being :-). So what I would be looking for is
reccomendations for a better paddle for my wife KEEPING IN MIND THAT
SHE WILL STAY WITH HER CURRENT KAYAK FOR THE TIME BEING. I mean - is
the Tarpon 100 too sluggish to improve on it anyway and are better
paddles only for more advanced kayaks - or might there be a
*reasonably price* (ABSOLUTE MAX 100 dollars) paddle which would
*significantly* improve the kayaking experience for my wife? (or does
the Tarpon 100 make the purchase of a better paddle a useless
endeavor?)

Again - many thanks in advance for all your expertise!