John Fereira

Default building wooden kayak costs?

Sue Goddard wrote in :

CLC also sells plans for most of their models.

I looked at that, but it seemed that if you bought the cockpit and
other pieces that sounded "necessary", that you were up in the $600
range anyway. But I haven't looked into it very carefully.

claimed he was able to build it for under $300. I spent almost $200
on fiberglass cloth, epoxy resin, varnish, and various outfitting
pieces.

That's about what we're figuring out, which is pretty discouraging.

Your best bet might be to look at building a skin-on-frame boat.

I'll look into it; thanks.

What's he go to do for a paddle, PDF, and sprayskirt. $300 for just
those items is not really exhorbiant.

He has a good PFD from his canoeing experiences and shouldn't need a
sprayskirt for the flat rivers we usually paddle. We have a cheap
paddle that we use in the canoe, and that will have to suffice until I
learn how to build one, or we find a good deal on a used one.

If he's going to paddle a wood or skin-on-frame boat building traditional
greenland paddle would be a good idea, and very inexpensive.