suds

Default Kayaking in Hawaii, paddled out of Lahaina, wind direction, NW

"Scott Bemis" wrote in message
om...
Your excellent local knowledge is much appreciated, at least by me,
and is far greater than mine (I live in Minnesota).
"
Not to nitpick but the "Trade Winds" are from the north east.

I did not mean Trade Winds when indication wind direction off of
Lahaina, Maui when paddling just one afternoon.

Well, the Trade Winds do not always blow but they are the dominate wind
pattern here. They are the reason Hawai'i is such a pleasant place to live.
They keep the Islands comparatively cool and dry. Occasionally a storm
system to the north of the Islands block them and the wind direction
reverses. It's called "Kona Winds" (which is a misnomer because, basically,
we get no wind) and that is when we are reminded that we do live on a
tropical island. Of course, when mountains meet water (and Maui has some
d@mn impressive mountains) you can get all sorts of winds. So if you say
the winds were from the Northwest, I'll believe you.

suds