Gary Warner

Default Trailer Brakes: Electric vs Hydraulic-Surge

So I'm back to this question again. I thought we had it settled when we were
going to
have someone else build us a trailer, but now that we're going to build it
ourselves,
all options are open again.

I looked back at the answers from the April 10, 2003 thread "Trailer Brake
Questions" and at
other sources on the web. Any other information or comment would be
welcome and appreciated.

ELECTRIC BRAKES
+ More control over the braking
+ The brakes work in reverse, which might help at the ramp
- Might cost more ?
- Can't use in (salt) water
(Some people said they use in water without problem. Maybe special/newer
models)
- Any tow vehicle has to be wired for it.
- Have to have & maintain a backup battery on the trailer to activate the
brakes in an emergency separation.

ELECTRIC over HYDRAULIC:
This is where the controller is electric but that controlls a hydraulic
master cylinder.
+ Still have the finer control of electiric.
+ The brakes work in reverse
+ No problem in water as the electric is no in the water.
- Higher cost?
- Tow vehicle has to be wired for it.
- Have to have & maintain a backup battery on the trailer to activate the
brakes in an emergency separation.

HYDRAULIC-SURGE:
+ Self contained on the trailer, no special wiring on vehicle
+ Works fine, possibly lower cost.
+ Can have free-backing brakes or reverse-lockout-solenoid so brakes are not
active when backing.
- Breaks do not work in reverse...which you might want on a steep/slippery
ramp.
- May be illegal in some states ??

QUESTION:
On a hydraulic system, if there was any problem with one fitting or line
would that
mean the breaks on all four wheels (dual-axel trailer) would stop working?