Alex McGruer

Default Kayak-canoe ramp designs

(Toney Lowery) wrote in message . com...
Hi all I'm a park planner for the Parks Dept of Columbia, MO. The city
is in the process of developing a 110 acre park that includes a 10
acre lake. We're designing in several kayak/boating features. One is a
"kayak lesson" area, basically a submerged concrete pad for the
instructor to stand in the water next to the student.

Another feature we want to include though is a put-in for
non-motorized boats. The put-in will not be accessible by vehicles so
all boats using it will be carried in. We're talking kayaks, canoes
and small jon boats.

So...

What make a good put-in? As of right now we're thinking a simple
concrete ramp approx. 8-10 feet wide, extending 3-4 below the
waterline with a "rubber surface" that extends to the waterline. The
water level in the lake is remarkably stable and wave action doesn't
appear to be a major factor.

Any critiques, hints, ideas comments would be welcome.

Thanks,
Toney Lowery
Senior Park Planner
Columbia Parks and Recreation
www.GoColumbiaMo.com
573 874-7537

CONCRETE will scrape the hell out of any boat. An outdoor carpet laid
over it may solve that. For glass boats sand is acceptable as you can
walk them out and get in . Sand tends not to become a scating rink
with Algea.
Good Luck.
Delighted someone is doing this. We have a couple of programms like
that in St. John's Nfld.