padeen

Default Kayak-canoe ramp designs

Provide a kayak launch slide; a funnel-shaped affair with a broad fan area
sloped slightly toward a ~30 deg. sloped chute into the water. Maybe that
algae-covered rubber would work fine for its surface ; ). Grass works great
as well, and would be very inexpensive for the whole affair. If you want to
make it more interesting, have the chute end 2' above the water surface.
Even novice kayakers enjoy seal-launches and they are the easiest way to get
a kayak to water. The fan-shaped boarding area could be ~20' radius @ ~5
deg. slope, allowing up to 10 kayakers to get into their boats and fasten
their skirts, then take turns in quick succession pushing off down the ramp
to the water. Now that I envision this thing, I think grass would be
heavenly. Good luck with your project.

Padeen

"Toney Lowery" wrote in message
om...
Hi all I'm a park planner for the Parks Dept of Columbia, MO. The city
is in the process of developing a 110 acre park that includes a 10
acre lake. We're designing in several kayak/boating features. One is a
"kayak lesson" area, basically a submerged concrete pad for the
instructor to stand in the water next to the student.

Another feature we want to include though is a put-in for
non-motorized boats. The put-in will not be accessible by vehicles so
all boats using it will be carried in. We're talking kayaks, canoes
and small jon boats.

So...

What make a good put-in? As of right now we're thinking a simple
concrete ramp approx. 8-10 feet wide, extending 3-4 below the
waterline with a "rubber surface" that extends to the waterline. The
water level in the lake is remarkably stable and wave action doesn't
appear to be a major factor.

Any critiques, hints, ideas comments would be welcome.

Thanks,
Toney Lowery
Senior Park Planner
Columbia Parks and Recreation www.GoColumbiaMo.com