Mary Malmros

Default Stately pleasure domes

(William R. Watt) writes:

Mary Malmros ) writes:

Now, a few people will be drawn to try the sport by those images.
But -- and this is my second point -- I strongly suspect that the
large majority of them simply cycle right through. They buy a boat
or take a class, and for a little while, they're all about being a
rad dude whitewater boater. But what you're seeing is plain ol'
custy behavior, and after they've bought the figurative t-shirt,
they'll move on to the next thing. Really. You see 'em for a
season, maybe part of a second one...then they kind of fade away.
It's a small, small number that stay with it, and so there IS no
exploding river population coming out of this.

Never underestimate the power of advertising and propaganda. If they want
white water kayaking in plastic pleasure domes to be popular they will
make it popular. Some bank will put up the money.

Maybe you should stick to statements about paddling around lakes in
a sponson-equipped sailboat, Willster.

--
Mary Malmros

Some days you're the windshield,