Bill Tuthill

Default Stately pleasure domes

Oci-One Kanubi wrote:

Last weekend I was with a party from the Winston-Salem/Greensboro area
of North Carolina on the Tuckaseegee River. We pulled out at a beach
below the best surfing spot on the river, at what I am told is the
traditional lunch and potty stop. But this weekend no one could go
into the woods to take care of personal maters, because there were
newly-posted No Trespassing signs. Seems a new owner had taken
possession in the last year. Barry Kennon, pro C-Boater. Posting his
land against paddlers. We learned the identity of the new owner from
a crew of young Kennon groupies who were out there moving rocks around
in the river bed to make the rapid more interesting so they could hang
gates (we didn't ask if Kennon intended to get permission from the
owner of the land on the opposite bank, to string cables from his
trees). They had built a significant cobble dam on river left to
channelize the flow. I wonder if Barry Kennon sports an anti-dam
sticker on his vehicle?

Hypocrisy has been in plentiful supply of late, but this deserves
an award, e.g. the Nobel Hypocrisy Prize.

Which section of the Tuckaseegee was this, Oci-One?

Tuckasegee, East Fork Bonas Defeat Gorge V+
Tuckasegee, Section Above Tanasee Creek Reservoir III-V
Tuckasegee, Section Cedar Cliff Reservior to Cullowhee I-II(III)
Tuckasegee, Section Dillsboro to Rt. 1392 II(III)
Tuckasegee, Section Whittier to Bryson City I-III
Tuckasegee, West Fork Thorpe Dam to Tuckasegee River III-IV+(V)