Oci-One Kanubi

Default Stately pleasure domes

Mary Malmros typed:

(Oci-One Kanubi) writes:

On the up-side, if you build a rodeo hole in an already-trashed urban
stretch of river (the rodeo dudes need convenience, eh?) it will keep
the squids all concentrated in one place where they won't trash up
pristine mountain rivers.

Richard, this is really beneath you. It really, truly is. I have
always thought better of you than as someone who seizes on a few
superficial features and stereotypes an entire category of paddler
as "trash". That's the comment of a sour, bitter old curmudgeon --
not the Oci-One I know.

Heh heh. Yer figger of speech and mine have collided violently here,
evidently. By my usage I wasn't characterizing the *people* as trash,
but what they do to a river by planting themselves in one place and
becoming obstacles, rather than just passing through leaving no trace,
that I refered to as "trash"ing. Not to mention rearranging river
beds to make better playspots, though in a way this doesn't bother me
so much as it might; after all, after the next hurricane comes through
Kennon's little droogies will have to rebuild their playspot from
scratch.

In fact, the pro boaters I know are fine folks. Hell, I sent Joe
Stumpfel and Seth Chapelle $200 each to help get them to Graz for the
Worlds, and if she'd qualified for the team I'da sent Heather Chapelle
$200 too; not something I'd do for someone I don't like, and an
insight into how black-and-white this issue is not, for me.

-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty
Richard Hopley, Winston-Salem, NC, USA
rhopley[at]earthlink[dot]net 1-301-775-0471
Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll.
rhopley[at]wfubmc[dot]edu 1-336-713-5077
OK, OK; computer programming for scientific research also matters.