Califbill Califbill is offline

Default The boys must have their toys...

wrote:
On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 21:57:24 -0400, BAR wrote:

The Marines, grunts on the ground, don't usually have A-10's supporting
them. It is usually, Cobra's and F-18's. Back in the day the they were
flying the A-4 as a ground attack aircraft. You need to understand that
the air assets of the Marine Corps have to be carrier capable, LHA, LHD,
CVN type of ships.

The problem with the A-10 is that you have to bring the entire freaking
Air Force along with you in order to use them and they don't integrate
seamlessly with a MAGTF (Marine Air Ground Task Force).

Although A10s may have some handy ground support value, they are
basically tank killers, designed to stop a Soviet invasion of Europe.
They did show their virtue in the deserts of Iraq and Kuwait tho.

You are right that it is an air force platform, not one that has
transitioned to carrier operations.
If there was really a need, I would not be shocked if they could rig
them with tail hooks and a catapult shoe,

Design an A-10 type plane with a couple 20 mm cannon and carrier capable.
An f-15 type plane is probably what we need for air superiority. Shoot
them from a hundred miles. We need a ground support aircraft that will
take a licking and still keep ticking. And choppers are not good for that.