Wilko

Default Stately pleasure domes

Dave Manby wrote:

Where is kayaking heading? We have got to the stage where we are
building waves specifically for freestyle events next we will have the
rapid covered to keep the rain out and the heat in. Even if it does not
go that far will it get to the stage where river runs will be altered to
make sure the gradient drop on the run is used efficiently and the drops
are bundled together to make descent play waves rather than waste the
gradient on riffles and gravel bars and holes are made safe so as not
recirculate the unfortunate swimmer undercuts and syphons will be
blasted out to 'improve' runs. Tidy up nature she got it wrong (and make
sure the car parks at the put in and take out big enough).

Although I can understand where your concern comes from, I don't see the
future that bleak. Sure, I know of several rivers that have had rapids
blasted (usually by rafting companies), and I know a bunch of artificial
slalom channels, some of which I frequent.

When it comes to the slalom channels, they are usually located in areas
where the river has been regulated extensively. Near a dam, lock or
sluice, where the gradient has been turned by man's interference into
two stretches of almost flat water. In that case, I don't see any
problems with a slalom course being put next to such a man-made river
obstacle.

As for turning dangerous rapids into a pile of rubble, I hate that
approach. There are a lot of rivers that aren't paddled regularly just
because they contain one or more really tricky spots (siphons and such).
Those rivers therefore see less paddlers, which helps to keep them
relatively nice and clean. You can paddle them if you're a good enough
paddler of if don't mind portaging quite a bit.

On the other hand, I don't have problems with small openings being cut
through strainers to create a possible way through rapids that got
clogged with trees after a recent rainfall. An example of this was
recently posted on Soulboater.com:

http://www.soulboater.com/soulboater...icle&sid= 390

Wilko

--