BNick

Default Expedition Boating with Kids

Kids are new to me. I've been a pro guide over 25 years, but it's
always been 12-16' paddle or gear boats. We have 3 kids now (8, 4, 1)
and have taken the older ones on several Class II trips. Next year we
want to do some overnighters on rivers like the East Carson, SF
American, Lower NF&MF American, Putah Ck, and 4-8 day expeditions on
the Rogue, Yampa, John Day, Eel in the next couple years.

We did fine on an overnigther (2 adults/1 kid )with a 14' oar rig, but
it's gonna be getting tighter. Especially the boys want to bring
friends.

Thinking about adding a larger boat to the fleet, just wonder how
others have done with 16' SB's or 16-18' cats. I'm imagining
(dreading?) carrying 2 adults, 4 kids under 10, a 120 qt cooler, dry
box, and 6-8 med-lg drybags. I'm leaning towards a cat, but not sure
which combination of frame modules would be best. What are your
suggestions?