stone

Default Natural Rivers (or not) - Pine, Upper manistee

You are a reasonable man and there are few of them around.

"Randy Hodges" wrote in message
om...
Mary Malmros wrote in message

Not sure it's elitist, but it is a rather strict definition of
"wilderness". Who's humpty-dumptying the definition? It doesn't
really matter -- just be aware that in this conversation, there are
at least two widely divergent definitions of "wilderness" being
used.

There IS an established definition of wilderness.

"A wilderness, in contrast with those areas where man and his own
works dominate the landscape, is hereby recognized as an area where
the earth and its community of life are untrammeled by man, where man
himself is a visitor who does not remain."
The Wilderness Act

If you are looking for "Pristine," then you are likely to be very
disappointed. You should have been born millennia ago. On the other
hand, if you are looking for places where "man himself is a visitor
who does not remain" you can find that in most states.

It also has a lot to do with your state of mind. I can find
"wilderness" in many places that lack a pristine quality. It really
does not bother me if I can see a contrail or if there is an
established trail.

Randy