Califbill Califbill is offline

Default Cajun Sweet Potatoes

F*O*A*D wrote:
On 3/27/14, 7:42 PM, Boating All Out wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 20:18:58 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

Same here with the sweet potatoes but my wife likes them.
She is not much on spices tho.

Bake and put some salted butter on them. Yum.
Candy them with brown sugar and orange juice. Yumyum.

We bake them and put a tiny pat of butter and a bit of salt on them,
probably because we like the taste of sweet potatoes and don't see a need
to camo that taste in a bunch of peppery spices that leave you tasting
the spices, but not the underlying ingredient.

If I cook a steak, it's the steak I want to taste, not some recipe of
ingredients that hide the fact that it is a steak, and not a melange of
fiery spices. I might use a dab of steak sauce or ketchup, maybe.

We have a friend from India who says that many highly spiced foods are
prepared that way in his part of the world because the underlying product
on which the spices are placed are not that fresh, and the spiciness
helps hide that fact. That shouldn't be a problem in this country.

I know in Europe many sauces were developed to hide the poor quality of
beef, poultry, fish, et cetera, but that was in the days before reliable refrigeration.

Steak sauce? Ewwwwwwww. You have to like sweet potatoes first. Plain
sweet potatoes are healthy, and boring. Put in to a stir fry, etc. good
addition.