Randy Hodges

Default Stately pleasure domes

Dave Manby wrote:

Where is kayaking heading? We have got to the stage where we are
building waves specifically for freestyle events next we will have the
rapid covered to keep the rain out and the heat in. Even if it does not
go that far will it get to the stage where river runs will be altered to
make sure the gradient drop on the run is used efficiently and the drops
are bundled together to make descent play waves rather than waste the
gradient on riffles and gravel bars and holes are made safe so as not
recirculate the unfortunate swimmer undercuts and syphons will be
blasted out to 'improve' runs. Tidy up nature she got it wrong (and make
sure the car parks at the put in and take out big enough).

Dave,

I don't totally disagree with your sentiment. Leave nature alone!
You really can't improve it. On the Other Hand, the new round of
whitewater parks, such as the one I am most familiar with in Reno
Nevada, are NOT impacting nature. They are in URBAN areas. In our
case, the river in this section had been chanelized, confined between
two vertical cement walls. A low-head dam was also removed. The
Whitewater Park isn't nature but it certianly is closer than what you
find in most urban rivers.

Another thought is that one of the effects of these parks is to
concetrate river use in a small area. The effect is, perhaps, to
lessen the impact on our wilderness runs.

Randy Hodges