Califbill Califbill is offline

Default Spring is coming ...

"Mr. Luddite" wrote:
On 3/19/2014 9:54 AM, Boating All Out wrote:
In article ,
says...

One of the most enjoyable trips I have taken was driving to Denver, CO
via Rt. 90. I did so on a whim in the Ford F-350 diesel towing a car
trailer to pick up a 1955 Ford F-100 pickup that a guy had for sale.
Like many, I had flown back and forth over this part of the country many
times while working and making trips to the West coast but this was the
first time I could actually see what states like Iowa, Nebraska and
Colorado actually looked like at ground level.

Nebraska was strangely beautiful to me. I like being by myself and the
trip across that state certainly makes you feel alone and away from
everything. The only concern I had was fuel stops. There aren't many,
so you have to make sure you fuel up when you can. The one fuel stop I
found reminded me of an old, western stage stop or something. Friendly
people but I have no clue how they survived or made a living out there.

On the return trip I took Rt.80 east. I stopped at the World's Biggest
Truck Stop in Iowa. Interesting place. It has everything you can
imagine including huge shopping areas, doctors, dentists and damn good food!

90 doesn't hit Nebraska. South Dakota.
Whatever road you took, you're right about Nebraska. It has some of the
least populated counties in the U.S.
It's surreal driving through the sand hills.
Makes you wonder. I forget about what.

You're right. It was Rt.80 once I got to Illinois. (back a few years)

Nebraska is flat until the sand hills. The wagon trains could see Scott's
Bluff for weeks before they got there. Sparsely populated as the farming
is not that good, until they brought in irrigation sprayers. My parents
are from that area. Mom grew up 1.5 miles from the Wyoming border. Still
not much there. Closest town was Henry, and is still only about 3 blocks
big.