F*O*A*D F*O*A*D is offline

Default Spring is coming ...

On 3/17/14, 6:21 PM, Boating All Out wrote:
In article ,
says...

Those are big, smoked glass windows that are in the master stateroom.
Here's another video where the guy is showing the boat internal areas.
(It starts out looking like the other video, but is different). He gets
to the main stateroom about 2/3rds of the way through the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX3LYpdEkAQ

I personally just don't "get" having a boat like that.
You give up a lot of seaworthiness, ease of maintenance, fuel
consumption and reliability for totally unnecessary "creature comforts."
Fuel consumption is a product of hull design and weight.
But different strokes.
If I had the money to spend I'd design a light trawler capable of 15
mpg. Maybe 6 knots cruising speed. Or a cat.
It can be done. Wouldn't be a nice ride in heavy seas.
So stay away from them.
But "the need for speed" is great among us.

I don't know how you would end up with a trawler, light or otherwise,
that would get 15 mpg, but I agree with your points about boats that
seem just too damned large, in terms of running costs, maintenance,
handling, inability to go into shallow waters, et cetera. Different
strokes.

When we lived in Florida and fished in the St. Johns River from time to
time, I used to look in wonder at some of the smaller pleasure trawlers
bucking the outflow current and trying to make progress getting into
Jacksonville. Some of them seemingly made no headway at all against the
current, and a few times I saw a couple of the boats simply anchor until
the tide shifted or the current abated.