Alex McGruer

Default Canoe and kayak safety

(Chris Kelly) wrote in message . com...
I am new to the sport and wondered if any of you knew of any way that
I could make my boat safer. I was thinking of attaching some kind of
hard shelled extra floation on each side, so that I might not flip
over so much.
Any guidance?

If this is not a run at spo,*ns, you have bought the wrong boat. But
I think you are likely a fine paddler taking a dig at an oversold
safety device that may have a place but has a rabid advocate some
place that made a joke of them. I have fellow paddlers near ny home
who have bought the finest kayaks just to drop the sport because a 20"
wide 20 ' long rocket is not a good boat to learn on.
If (IF) you are serious , lessons and borrowing a cheaper wider
plastic boat may solve the problem.
I hope this does not come off as elitist, this sport deserves a
chance, a good chance.
I suspect this is bait for the sp:n&#n thing that (could save
thousands of lives).
The Spo*n thing is like training wheels for a Harley as they were
being promoted. They are a substitute for a paddle float and may in
their own right be a good thing at times; but not for a healthy
paddler capable of using them.
They are another option to help recover after a capsize and wet exit,
not a training aid. They are a little awkward for the real purpose too
the truth be known.