BoatBanter.com

-   Whitewater (https://www.boatbanter.com/whitewater/)
-   -   Beginners Boat (https://www.boatbanter.com/whitewater/29229-beginners-boat.html)

Scott Purvis March 18th 05 02:01 AM

Beginners Boat

I'm sure that this group has seen this question about a million times, but
as the subject lines says, I'm a beginner. My daughter and I took a local
class in a pool and we are hooked and want to start whitewater paddling
this summer. So, the question is which boats whould we consider? I'm 5'7
170 lbs and my legs are a little on the short side. My daughter is the
same height but 120 lbs with more normal proportions. In our class we used
the Dagger GT 7.8 and thought it was pretty good.

Other recommendations?

Thanks,
Scott

Wilko March 18th 05 08:19 AM

Scott Purvis wrote:
I'm sure that this group has seen this question about a million times, but
as the subject lines says, I'm a beginner. My daughter and I took a local
class in a pool and we are hooked and want to start whitewater paddling
this summer. So, the question is which boats whould we consider? I'm 5'7
170 lbs and my legs are a little on the short side. My daughter is the
same height but 120 lbs with more normal proportions. In our class we used
the Dagger GT 7.8 and thought it was pretty good.

Basically, IMO, the trick is to try out as many boats as you can, and
pick the one that is available, that fits your budget, that fits you and
that allows you to improve your paddling skill without giving a too
steep learning curve. I'd recommend taking the same approach for your
daughter, since she is obviously built differently than you, which means
that a smaller or lower volume boat could give her similar paddling
options (allow control and allow her to do the same tricks) to you.

Also, it may help to start out with a second hand boat, buying something
new after a year or so, when you've gotten used to paddling a boat more
often and knowing better what you want to spend your money on.

HTH.

--
Wilko van den Bergh wilko(a t)dse(d o t)nl
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe

Bob April 27th 05 02:01 AM

"Scott Purvis" wrote in message
I'm sure that this group has seen this question about a million times, but
as the subject lines says, I'm a beginner. My daughter and I took a local
class in a pool and we are hooked and want to start whitewater paddling
this summer. So, the question is which boats whould we consider? I'm 5'7
170 lbs and my legs are a little on the short side. My daughter is the
same height but 120 lbs with more normal proportions. In our class we

used
the Dagger GT 7.8 and thought it was pretty good.

Other recommendations?

A used RPM would be an excellent starter boat for you.

Bob