BoatBanter.com

-   Whitewater (https://www.boatbanter.com/whitewater/)
-   -   Inazone 242 foorest (https://www.boatbanter.com/whitewater/26617-inazone-242-foorest.html)

Chris Naylor December 28th 04 04:09 PM

Inazone 242 foorest

Hi - please excuse the crosspost - I wasn't sure which group to post to -
sorry!

Right. having just bought my first baot after being paddling for a few years
now (the joys of being involved with scouting and having access to boats!).
After paddling a number of different boats I decided to buy an Inazone 242
as I found it a great boat for both coaching and playing in (can't afford to
have 2 seperate boats!). Anyway. The footrest on the boat doesn't seem very
stable, in fact it wobbles around like jelly! I've tried using the larger of
the 2 plates supplied, but if I use that one I can't get enough legroom to
paddle comfortably. If I put the footrest back enough to stop it rattling it
is too far away to be any use! I've noticed that a few of the other
inazone's that i have paddles have all had foam type footrests fitted in
them (shock bloc I think they call them?). Does anybody know if it is
possible to retro fit the foam type footrests into the newer style
inazone's, if so where can I get them from? If not does anyone have any
sugestions as to how to make the footrests seem more stable?

Cheers for any info

--
Chris Naylor
Cut the nonsense to reply

Every instructor assumes you have nothing to do but study for his course.

MatSav December 28th 04 07:04 PM

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:09:50 -0000, "Chris Naylor"
wrote:

Hi - please excuse the crosspost - I wasn't sure which group to post to -
sorry!

Apology accepted! You may have a better response publishing your
request on the "Community" board at http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk

--
MatSav

Ewan Scott December 29th 04 11:46 AM

wrote:

[...]

You can buy foam block and cut it to shape to customise your boat. You
can use it, with Duck Tape, to pad out your seat to give hip grips as
well.

Where did you buy the boat? We just bought two new boats from
Brookbank, a Wavesport, which came with a fitting kit, and a Method
Air which came with pre cut foam pads to slot into place.

You can also buy ratchet footrests that bolt into the side of the
boat.

I'm surprised you bought a 242. I'd have thought that you would have
been teased into getting into a smaller boat - we were :-) It was
scary on white water at first, but you get used to it.

Ewan Scott

Chris Naylor December 29th 04 03:31 PM

wrote:

[...]

Agh! It seems where you go I follow! Lol!

Cheers for the info on foam blocks - will have to source some from somewhere
now.

Got my boat from RoHO - managed to play them off on Brookbanks prices and
got a realy good deal for boat, deck and paddle - which was good! Even
managed to geta better paddle than I wanted because they didn't have the one
I wanted so got a more expensive one for around the same price. Hoped to get
an even better deal but Aaron was off ill when I went to pay - ah well!

Went with the 242 because I have messed up feet and whenever I've paddled
the smaller boats I was sorely tempted to buy I ended up not being able to
feel my feet for days - I also had a lot of trouble with cramp with the
smaller boats. So I went for a boat that I knew I liked, got a decent price
on and can paddle it for a day without being crippled for the rest of the
week!

Anyways, cheers for the info on the foam blocks and ratchets - something to
consider when I get paid again!
--
Chris Naylor
Cut the nonsense to reply
http://chrisnaylor9123.fotopic.net

at least I thought I was dancing, 'til somebody stepped on my hand.

Alan Adams December 29th 04 04:43 PM

wrote:

[...]

When you do start looking for foam I'm sure you'll appreciate that not all
foams are equivalent. The two I would look for would be polythene, used in
some packaging for unusually sensitive or valuable equipment, or
polyurethane. PE is white, bendy and fairly difficult to compress. PU is
black, bendy, and easier to compress. It also generally has smaller
bubbles, so once cut, is less abrasive to the skin.

The ones to avoid are the open-cell sponges, used in upholstery etc, which
absorb water, and polystyrene, which is rigid, frequently used in packaging
for electronic equipment, and breaks up over time. It used to be used for
buoyancy in fibreglass boats, because is was rigid and supported the deck,
but it also absorbs some water, dissolves in resin, (which makes it tricky to
build in), and eventually crumbles back to the granules it is made from.

You'll probably have to buy PU, you might be able to find discarded PE.

--
Alan Adams

http://www.nckc.org.uk/

Ewan Scott December 29th 04 05:16 PM

Agh! It seems where you go I follow! Lol!

Cheers for the info on foam blocks - will have to source some from somewhere
now.

Brookbanks - and no i don't get a commission.

You don't always follow where I go. I don't use RH. The service is
crap, they know sfa about kayaking, and they couldn't really care
less. Different if you are a high spending diver though.

I've always found the guys at Brookbanks very helpful and very
knowledgeable. All they do is kayak and canoe, and they really do know
what they are talking about.

Ewan Scott

Chris Naylor December 29th 04 07:28 PM

Ewan Scott wrote:
Agh! It seems where you go I follow! Lol!

Cheers for the info on foam blocks - will have to source some from
somewhere now.

Brookbanks - and no i don't get a commission.

You don't always follow where I go. I don't use RH. The service is
crap, they know sfa about kayaking, and they couldn't really care
less. Different if you are a high spending diver though.

I've always found the guys at Brookbanks very helpful and very
knowledgeable. All they do is kayak and canoe, and they really do know
what they are talking about.

Ewan Scott

Have to disagree about them knowing SFA - most of them know nothing, and
freely admit to knowing nothing about kayaking. But I've spent a long time
talking with Aaron who does actualy know what he is talking about - great
bloke as well! Was going to go to Brookbanks originally (there list price
for the 242 is a lot cheaper) but managed to get RoHo to give me an even
better price - specially getting an Ainsworth k104 for the same price as a
k100!

Cheers for the info on foam blok supliers anyhow.

--
Chris Naylor
Cut the nonsense to reply
http://chrisnaylor9123.fotopic.net

"We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur."-
Governor George W. Bush

Ewan Scott December 30th 04 10:09 AM

Have to disagree about them knowing SFA - most of them know nothing, and
freely admit to knowing nothing about kayaking. But I've spent a long time
talking with Aaron who does actualy know what he is talking about - great
bloke as well!

I've been into RH many times , though less often since we found
Brookbanks. We have never found anyone interested or knowledgeable
about kayaking. We have even been standing waiting to be served with
good and cash in hand and been so ****ed off with the service that we
just dumped the stuff on the counter and walked away.

When we asked for quotes for over £6,000 worth of gear RH couldn't be
bothered giving us a written response. Mind you, the ONLY two kayak
suppliers in the Uk - and we wrote to some fifteen IIRC, were Nucleus
at Clacton on Sea and Brookbanks.

Anyway, best I say no more. :-(

Ewan Scott

Chris Naylor December 30th 04 02:08 PM

Chris Naylor wrote:
[...]

All is now well in the world of my footrests - took me a trip up to RoHo and
in exchange for a pricely sum of £2 got myself rather more foam than I can
shake a paddle at - oh ok about 4 times the size that I needed but it was an
offcut anyhow!

All I need now is a few days when I'm not using my boat and some contact
adhesive now!
--
Chris Naylor
Cut the nonsense to reply
http://chrisnaylor9123.fotopic.net

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities
in our air and water that are doing it."- Governor George W. Bush

MatSav December 30th 04 08:48 PM

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:08:10 -0000, "Chris Naylor"
wrote:

All is now well in the world of my footrests...
All I need now is a few days when I'm not using my boat and some contact
adhesive now!

Might I suggest velcro strips / pads? It makes for easier "adjustment"
of footrest blocks that use the shim approach.

--
MatSav

Chris Naylor December 30th 04 08:51 PM

MatSav matthew D O T savage A T felthamscouts D O T org D O T uk
wrote:

All is now well in the world of my footrests...
All I need now is a few days when I'm not using my boat and some
contact adhesive now!

Might I suggest velcro strips / pads? It makes for easier "adjustment"
of footrest blocks that use the shim approach.

By that are you suggesting using velcro to stick the foam that I cut to
shape onto the footrest plates? Might just be me being a bit blind here but
I don't see what adjustment I need to make to the blocks once they are stuck
on anyway? Would velcro last as long as the adhesive suff?

--
Chris Naylor
Cut the nonsense to reply
http://chrisnaylor9123.fotopic.net

Are you a Klingon, or is that a turtle on your head?

Ewan Scott December 31st 04 10:29 AM

wrote:

All is now well in the world of my footrests...
All I need now is a few days when I'm not using my boat and some
contact adhesive now!

Might I suggest velcro strips / pads? It makes for easier "adjustment"
of footrest blocks that use the shim approach.

By that are you suggesting using velcro to stick the foam that I cut to
shape onto the footrest plates? Might just be me being a bit blind here but
I don't see what adjustment I need to make to the blocks once they are stuck
on anyway? Would velcro last as long as the adhesive suff?

What type of foam have you bought?

You should hopefully have small cell closed cell foam that shouldn't
expand. If you glue in the wrong type of foam and it expands in time,
you could end up distorting your boat.

I don't mean to stick my nose in but I'm just concrened that you don't
make a mess of your boat.

Ewan

Chris Naylor December 31st 04 12:12 PM

wrote:

[...]

Its the same sort of stuff that's allready in the bot at the central
pillar - looks like one complete block of solid foam.

--
Chris Naylor
Cut the nonsense to reply
http://chrisnaylor9123.fotopic.net

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."- George W. Bush

MatSav December 31st 04 08:23 PM

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:12:46 -0000, "Chris Naylor"
wrote:

MatSav wrote:

Might I suggest velcro strips / pads? It makes for easier
"adjustment" of footrest blocks that use the shim approach.

By that are you suggesting using velcro to stick the foam that I
cut to shape onto the footrest plates?

Yes. Hook AND Eye part of Velcro - eyes on the footplate, hooks fixed
to the foam. You may find that at some future date you need to adjust
the footspace, particularly if you want to loan your boat to someone
else - and it's relatively easy to remove foam pads if they're
velcro'd in.

Would velcro last as long as
the adhesive suff?

Probably not :-(

Ewan Scott wrote:

What type of foam have you bought?

You should hopefully have small cell closed cell foam

Its the same sort of stuff that's allready in the bot at the central
pillar - looks like one complete block of solid foam.

Is that for'ard or aft of the cockpit? Modern "thinking" says that
for'ard central pillars are "a bad thing" (TM), as they can be a
hazard causing foot entrapments when pinned :-(

--
MatSav

Allan Bennett January 2nd 05 08:38 PM

In article , MatSav
URL:mailto:[email protected]. wrote:
[snip]
"a bad thing" (TM)

[snip]

I think that's already been done, which is "a good thing".

Allan Bennett
Not a fan of copyright theft